|Outside the chapel|
|Entrance to the house|
We joined a DayTripper group to visit the Santa Margarita Ranch House complex at Camp Pendleton which includes the Ranch House built in 1827, the bunkhouse and a chapel that was originally the winery. It was the home of Pio Pico, last governor of Mexican California, and succeeding owners Don Juan Forster, the O'Neills, Floods, Baumgartners and, finally, United States Marine Corps Commanding Generals. Historic artifacts at the complex document pre-history through Mission and Rancho periods, the 1942 purchase of Camp Pendleton by the government, and reflect the WWII and the Korean War.antiques donated by Anthony Quinn during the filming of "Guadalcanal Diary" in 1943.
Camp Pendleton is the major West coast base of the U.S, Marine Corps and was named after Major General Joseph Pendleton.
The ranch changed hands many times over the years and was acquired by the City of Vista in 1989. The adobe is the best preserved early California home of the more than 25 ranchos in San Diego County.