The Marston House is a fine example of the Arts and Crafts movement and was built in 1905 for George Marston and his wife Anna Gunn Marston. The property was built by William Hubbard and Irving Gill. The formal gardens and canyon pathways on the 5 acre property are worth exploring as well.
George Marston had a chronic respiratory ailment and came to San Diego in 1870 to live in a better climate for his health. He had the only department store in San Diego which was very successful and made him quite wealthy. He was a generous philanthropist in the city.
George Marston was a civic leader interested in historic preservation and conservation. He hired an architect to develop the first plan for Balboa Park in 1902. Marston served as chairman of the buildings and grounds committee for the 1915 Panama-California Exposition.
The Marston House was donated to the City of San Diego by Marston's daughter Mary in l987. Save Our Heritage Organisation (SOHO) took over the operations in 1907.
February is a good month to visit San Diego museums including SOHO when admission is half price with a free museum pass from Macy's. This was part of a day's outing with Ed to the Marston House and the San Diego Zoo